The Rob I’m referring to is Rob Schneider and his friends are the cast of his show on CBS. The TV series with a cast of leading Latino entertainers was canceled by the network.
There is something wrong with the Latino community and interest groups when they cry for more representation in the media but then fail to support shows that got to air on national television. This show had a cast that was over 90% Latino and in English language. What happened?
My take, it’s not about the cast only, it is about stories and concepts that resonate among the largest possible audiences. Nielsen and the rating system have a saying. Then there is also the issue of the power that TV network’s czars have to cancel a show that may not resonate with their realities.
Read this article from the Huff Post for more information. http://huff.to/Ke2u6Y
When close to 20% of your universe is the fastest growing segment, adopts new technologies faster than other groups and its not completely assimilate into the larger majority, you have to pay attention and determine how any initiative that you implement in this group or decide not to include in your overall plans, will affect your bottom line.
If you are like me, you will do some research and get the facts. Well, Nielsen has done that for us and here are the key findings.
The Executive Summary of the report shows that:
- Latinos are a fundamental component to business success, and not a passing niche on the sidelines
- Rapid Latino population growth will persist, even if immigration is completely halted
- Latinos have amassed significant buying power, despite perceptions to the contrary
- Hispanics are the largest immigrant group to exhibit significant culture sustainability and are not disappearing into the American melting pot
- Technology and media use do not mirror the general market but have distinct patterns due to language, culture, and ownership dynamics
- Latinos exhibit distinct product consumption patterns and are not buying in ways that are the same as the total market
Read more: http://bit.ly/K8UTaw